Stone & Baxter maintains an active commercial real estate practice. Our real estate attorneys handle all aspects of commercial real estate transactions, including acquisitions, dispositions, financing, construction, sale and leasebacks, leases, and real estate issues arising in workouts and bankruptcies. We have represented clients with virtually every type of real estate, including office, apartment, retail, industrial, condominium, and hotel properties. Our real estate attorneys understand the need to negotiate and document transactions quickly and cost-effectively while also minimizing our clients’ legal and business risks.
Over the last three years, alone, Stone & Baxter’s real estate attorneys have closed commercial acquisitions or refinanced existing businesses for clients requiring more than $100 million in financing. Such businesses include convenience stores, restaurant franchises, manufacturers of recreational vehicles, national janitorial services providers, golf courses, pet food manufacturers, apartment complexes, and building products/lumber businesses.
Our typical transactions include:
- Acquisitions and Dispositions. We represent clients acquiring or disposing of apartment complexes, residential multifamily complexes, shopping centers, warehouses and distribution facilities, industrial parks, single family residential subdivisions, and other commercial real estate assets.
- Real Estate Finance. We represent financial institutions and borrowers in real estate loans and have substantial experience in helping clients understand available financial products and choosing the financing product that best suits their needs.
- Real Estate Leasing. We assist landlords and tenants in a variety of leasing transactions, including build-to-suit leases, turnkey leases, subleases, office leases, retail leases, warehouse and industrial leases, and manufacturing facility leases. As our clients understand, a well-negotiated and drafted lease can prevent misunderstandings and can often avoid the time and expense of resolving otherwise unnecessary lease disputes.
- Workouts and Bankruptcy Transactions. When it is necessary for a distressed business or debtor in bankruptcy to dispose of real estate, we have the knowledge to handle the disposition, whether it is a transaction outside of bankruptcy or a sale occurring under § 363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Land Use and Zoning. We help property owners and developers obtain necessary planning and zoning approvals and permits. We also represent clients in appeals before municipal zoning hearing boards and trial appellate courts.
- Represent an owner and operator in the continued acquisition, management, and disposition of an apartment complex portfolio that currently consists of fourteen apartment complexes throughout Georgia, Florida, and Alabama, including all related transactional work.