Federal & State Appellate Practice
Our appellate lawyers have significant experience representing clients through the appeals process. We understand that appellate advocacy is a specialized discipline that requires a unique set of skills. Our attorneys routinely appear before both state and federal appellate courts on complex legal issues ranging across multiple areas of the law. We know that at the appellate stage, success requires a comprehensive understanding of the law, impeccable brief writing, and outstanding oral advocacy. The nature of appellate work requires cases that may have been developed overs years of litigation, involving countless motions and days of trial, to be condensed into a 30-page brief and a 15-minute oral argument. Our appellate lawyers have the knowledge and skill necessary to simplify complex factual and legal issues, and convey our clients’ positions in a clear, straightforward, and persuasive fashion.
Our appellate practice varies depending on the needs of the client. We regularly represent parties on appeal after representing them in the trial court, and we know that a winning appellate case often begins at the trial court level. Other times, however, we have been brought into a case only after trial, for the specific purpose of handling the appeal stage. We have advocated for our clients in appellate courts on a wide range of cases, including commercial litigation, foreclosure confirmation, shareholder and director litigation, construction disputes, regulatory challenges, constitutional provisions, and a host of other matters.
- Represented Liquidating Trustee on appeal in front of the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals on issues relating to control group liability and the establishment of the “termination date” for the purposes of liability relating to termination of a Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation guaranteed pension plan.
- Represented commercial real estate company and guarantors in front of the Georgia Court of Appeals on issues related to confirmation of a foreclosure sale.
- Represented publishing company and directors on front of the Georgia Court of Appeals on issues related to trial court’s appointment of receiver to administer assets of the publishing company.
- Represented a chapter 7 debtor, pro bono, in front of the Georgia Supreme Court and Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals on issue of whether Georgia law allows a Health Savings Account to be exempted in bankruptcy.
- Represented commercial real estate developer on appeal in front of the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals on claims related to breach of the warranty of title in regard to the purchase of a multi-million dollar real estate development along the Georgia coast.
- Represented unsecured creditors committee of chapter 11 debtor in front of the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals and Georgia Supreme Court on issues related to piercing the corporate veil and breach of fiduciary duty against former director of hardwood flooring company.